Friday, March 5, 2010

Reboot Your Life - The Next Step



In basic skin care, you cleanse, exfoliate, freshen, then moisturize. Whether you have dry, combo  or oily skin, it's important to moisturize. This is the first step that add something back into the skin. It's more than: just add water; but, most products renourish and restore. Most products today simply hydrate, firm, and smooth your skin. Many provide up to ten hours of hydration, prevent flakiness and strengthen the skin's protective moisture barrier. Some are filled with antioxidents that neutralize damaging free radicals (the rascals that cause skin to age).


Fine! But how do we apply that to our lives? If the freshen stage means we get to decide the next right step - what comes next? For today, I picture just adding water. In fact, I picture nourishment for the decision we've just made.


I guess it's could still be part of the planning step or it could be nourishing the follow-through, but today I'm imagining the nourishment is building up the resources. Tending your made-up mind. Today, I'm going to throw out one way to nourish the new plan: surround yourself with the right people. 


As a short anecdote that may or may not explain what I mean, I'll admit that this has been a bad week of  training for my upcoming triathlon. Not comfortable on the bike, knee aches, hamstring ache, very slow times in the pool. Yesterday, in the pool (a handy water reference), I moaned to the others that I was slow. Discouragement seeped out. After practice, one of the women in the group made a point to say: don't let this get you  down. It's an off day. Don't let it play with your mind. I decided she was right and quickly changed my attitude from: I should have never gotten in the pool to even with a slow time, I am  faster than I was a month ago! That was my fresh new thought.


This morning, my knee was hurting (different than an ache). I felt winded two minutes into my run. My 5K pace was impossible (eight-ish minute mile) and even my half marathon pace (ten-ish minute mile) felt like a chore. I simply kept thinking to myself: don't let this get you down; don't let it play with your  mind. I had been nourished the day before by a positive comment, from a  positive team member. She had poured into me and restored my confidence even a day later!


That's one way you can build your resources. Surround yourself with positive influences. I once was encouraged  to make a list of all the people in my life that I spend the most time with (either in person or on the phone). Once you make that list, put a + sign by the people who - when you're with them - make you feel better about your life, who pour in positivity and love and joie de vivre! Put a - sign by the people who make you feel worse when you're with them. Put an = sign by those who are neutral. Your next right  step: start spending more time with the + people  in your life!  

1 comment:

Fergitude said...

Lovely post. You just made my night! You're definitely one of the positives in my life. It's so true that the people around you are a major influence. It's fascinating.s