Monday, March 15, 2010

A Makeover Story

In the past week, I've been remembering. Thinking back to makeovers I've had in my life and how they affected me. I thought it would be fun to reminisce this week, maybe even dig out some old pictures, visit the ghosts of makeovers past and see what they are still whispering to me.

My first introduction to make-up was in fifth grade. Lisa C., who was a year older than me and one of the prettiest girls I knew, brought over her first compact. It was chock-full of the best eye colors that the 1980's produced. Lots of purples and blues. I can't remember much, but I do remember her applying the mascara and the eyeliner (both blue, thank you). Look up, she told me like a pro. Now, look down. Whish, whish. Blot. Blot. Blot. I'm sure I looked like Cyndi Lauper but I felt like I looked like  Brooke Shields. It didn't matter as long as I looked near as beautiful as Lisa! 

For many years, make-up was simply a costume. Something silly you wore in a play, or when I played dress up. My only cosmetics in high school were zinc oxide and Shimmering Shell lipstick. I am sure that I still have a tube of that somewhere. My first makeover happened my senior year in high school and I'll save that story (and the pictures) until tomorrow. 

Until then, I want to know your makeover stories! How many makeovers have you had in your life? Were they physical? Mental? Spiritual? Professional? Did it stick?

No comments: