Thursday, March 11, 2010

Five O'Clock Club

You are not going to believe this one either. And you definitely aren't going to like it, even if you do believe it. Become a member of the Five O'Clock Club. This club ain't for cocktails. This is the five a.m. club. Mary Kay Ash was known for being one of the hardest-working people you'd ever meet. As the founder of what she called the Five O'Clock Club, her day began no later than 5am! 

For years, I resisted the darkness before the dawn. Six-thirty is a respectable time, right? Even 7:00am. But, in the past few months, I've resisted the temptation of a second snooze and pulled myself out of bed. By 6:00 a.m., I've brushed my teeth, taken the dog out and fed her, let the cat in and fed him, eaten a small meal, read the front page, checked the weather and my emails, done five sun salutations, driven to the YWCA and warmed up for 15 minutes. By 6:00a, I'm working out.

I've seen the brightest stars and the heaviest frost. I've heard owls hooting and seen rabbits. I know quiet in the morning - which may be even better than sleep. By 9:00a.m. I've done more around the house than I can on one productive Saturday. And by nine I'm ready for my power hour: the hour that I try to knock out at least two of my six most important tasks. And I choose the hardest one first.

I admit, I go to bed earlier than your average bear. By 8:00pm, I've washed my face and I'm ready to change into PJs. I can make it through most of the Olympic Coverage and I can often stay up for LOST or GREY'S ANATOMY. But really, that's what DVRs are for, right? I'd rather read from the prone position from my comfy bed (no TV in the bedroom) or talk on the phone.


You may not be able to do it. Your productive time might be the hour before you go to bed. Your most productive time might be your lunch hour, but you will get more done when the phones aren't ringing, when the emails are less like to drop into your inbox, when the cries of your children for more, more, more aren't in the background. 


If you can't possibly get up at 5:00am. Get up and do it right now. After all, it's Five O'Clock somewhere.   

1 comment:

Fergitude said...

Ha, ha! Perfect ending! I love the morning for it's serenity. The downfall is going to bed so early. Great post.